Here are tips REALTORS® can follow to ensure a safer environment while working:
- Meet any new clients in public and do your research ahead of time.
- Make sure someone from your office or family know when and where you are meeting a client.
- Consider using apps such as Life360 or Apple’s Find My to allow someone you trust to follow your location.
- Keep the expensive jewelry at home while on the job.
- Host open houses with a friend or coworker.
- Ensure you have quality phone coverage in the area you are showing a home at.
- Encourage clients to keep prescription medications and valuables locked away and out of sight during home showings and open houses.
- Attend REALTOR® Safety Courses offered nationally or at the local level.
- Show houses before dark.
- Always stay in between the door and the client at all times, allowing them to enter a room first when showing homes.
This year presents another layer of safety measures with the widespread COVID-19 pandemic as REALTORS® are focused on how to stop the spread of the virus and keep themselves, home buyers and seller safe while continuing to keep the economy moving in Oklahoma. Many REALTORS® have transitioned to virtual open houses, homes tours and client meetings while also ensuring homes are safe and sanitized between each visit.