This page will be continually updated with details regarding changes in event schedules and resources for REALTORS® and local boards in Oklahoma.
Governor Kevin Stitt has announced plan to re-open Oklahoma businesses. The tentative 3-phase plan which outlines the plan and what needs to be accomplished to achieve a full reopening can be found here. We urge REALTORS® to use caution and understand that the Governor has said these are tentative and subject to revision based on evidence which will continue to be collected.
Governor Stitt announced plans to begin re-opening Oklahoma businesses in a 3-phase plan called Opening Up & Recovering Safely (OURS). Click here to learn more about the steps which need to occur and what your responsibilities are in each phase. We urge REALTORS® to use caution and understand that the Governor has said these are tentative and subject to revision based on evidence which will continue to be collected.
A March 25th executive order to combat the spread of COVID-19 included provisions recognizing “Real estate and Leasing services” as an essential service. Watch OAR Legal Counsel Geoffrey Long’s Facebook Live discussing what it means for you business and find a link to an FAQ below:
- OAR’s Key Takeaways & Frequently Asked Questions re: Gov. Stitt’s Executive Order
- Click here to view the letter sent to Governor Stitt on March 20, 2020 requesting this provision.
Other updates from OAR:
- Currently, the physical OAR office (9807 Broadway Ext) is closed, and the OAR staff is working remotely. Any questions or inquiries will likely be solved more quickly through email: email@example.com.
- Talking Real Podcast Episode 111: Real Estate & COVID-19 covers what REALTORS® can do right now to adapt (and stay safe) to changes brought about by the Coronavirus.
- See the section below titled Unemployment Assistance & Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) for resources and more information about filing for unemployment.
- How has COVID-19 effected the upcoming elections in Oklahoma? Learn more here.
- OAR Zoom backgrounds are available now for your online meeting. Get the backgrounds here.
National Association of REALTORS® ResourcesNAR has produced several different resources during this time of uncertainty and is constantly producing more. All of NAR’s resources can be found at nar.realtor/coronavirus and a few, select resources are linked below:
- NAR Weekly Coronavirus Update (Updated 4.30.20)
- Coronavirus: A Guide for REALTORS®
- Coronavirus Resources & Guidance for Employers
- Protect Your Investment: A Guide For At Risk Homeowners
NAR is also seeking to provide additional education resources and discounts on courses. Find more info on the RIGHT TOOLS, RIGHT NOW program at nar.realtor/education.
NAR is also promoting the Center for REALTOR® Financial Wellness, and encourages members who may be facing uncertainty to utilize their comprehensive resources for wealth building, business planning and investing in real estate.
Oklahoma Real Estate Commission
The OREC office is now closed until further notice, but work is being done remotely.
- All occupational licenses issued by the Commission that expire during the COVID-19 emergency shall be extended until fourteen (14) days after the termination or withdrawal of Governor Stitt’s Executive Order 2020-07 (Amended).
- If you are scheduled to host/teach any classes in-person, you may now teach them online. Reach out to OREC (orec.ok.gov) about letting them know.
- For faster service, please email your name, license number and question/issue to Orec.Help@orec.ok.gov.
For more information, visit OREC.ok.gov.
Unemployment Assistance & Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)
The Federal CARES Act signed into law in late March provides additional federal unemployment assistance to already available state unemployment insurance and includes the provision to expand unemployment options to individuals classified as independent contractors. This assistance is accessed through the State of Oklahoma’s Oklahoma Employment Security Commission (OESC).
One of OAR’s Industry Partners, the Oklahoma State Chamber of Commerce, has provided a great resource directly OESC to help guide individuals through the unemployment claim process:
The National Association of REALTORSⓇ has also provided information for REALTORSⓇ on eligibility requirements, assistance availability and longevity, and other information
- CARES Act: Coronavirus Unemployment Assistance Act FAQ
- Click here for more information on the CARES Act from NAR
Key Information for REALTORSⓇ right now:
- The OESC has recently been provided guidance by the U.S. Department of Labor on how the state is to administer the benefits outlined in the CARES Act.
- OESC is in the process of updating its system to allow for the processing of independent contractor claims. They expect this system to go live in late April, but in the meantime they have launched a “Pre-Applicaiton” for independent contractors at ui.ok.gov.
- Independent contractors (REALTORSⓇ) are encouraged to fill out the “Pre-Application” until the new system is live, and not submit claims through the current OESC procedures for salaried employees.
- If an independent contractor applies for unemployment benefits right now, their claim will likely be denied, and it clogs the system for others who are currently eligible to receive benefits.
- All claims filed under the new independent contractor system will be backdated to March 30th, ensuring the extra weeks are accounted for and the independent contractor receives benefits for the weeks missed.
- When independent contractors are able to apply for assistance, REALTORSⓇ must mark themselves as “self-employed” on all unemployment documentation.
The CARES Act also provided federal money money for small businesses through the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) and the Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) through the Small Business Administration.
OAR EventsOAR Events are being rescheduled per guidance from the CDC: We will work to get these events reschedules soon, and provide you with links for registration when the details are finalized.
- March 28-30 NAR Region 9 Conference in Oklahoma City: moved to June 27-29 (narregion9.com)
- March 19 Professional Standards Training in OKC: postponed until TBD
- April 29-30 GRI 201 in Tulsa: postponed until July 8-9 – Registration will open soon
- April 30 Professional Standards Training in Tulsa: postponed until July 9 – Registration will open soon
- June 3-4 GRI 202 in Oklahoma City: VRTUAL CLASS on June 3-4 – Registration will open soon
- June 13 Oklahoma Housing Foundation Land Run 5K & Fun Run: cancelled
C2EXAs we are experiencing uncertainty in the industry and will have less opportunities to attend educational courses, now is the perfect time to check out C2EX. We’ve been challenged by our NAR Region 9 Vice President, Oklahoma’s own Dave Momper, to boost our C2EX numbers this year. Fortunately completing C2EX also fulfills your required NAR Code of Ethics training, so if you have any free time, get that knocked out!